About Us

History

Founding to Postwar Reconstruction


145 m2 foundry at the time of its founding

December 19, 1938
Founding
With the idea of "business that benefits the domestic market" Tomeso Tsutsui started an alloy foundry with only seven workers at the outbreak of the Sino-Japanese war.

1940
Established a new machine factory

1941
Became the factory of the Kure Naval Arsenal
The company made progress as it was designated as the controlled industrial factory for various military departments (naval arsenal, etc.) under the jurisdiction of the Kure Naval District.

1943
Incorporation
The company was licensed by the minister, renamed Shinko Kinzoku Industries Co., Ltd.

August 6, 1945
The atomic bomb was dropped
For the first time in human history, an atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. The blast completely destroyed the foundry, even knocked down the walls of the machine factory, and inflicted considerable injury to many workers.


View of the factory during the postwar period

1946
Began productin of marine pumps
The occupating army authorized the resumption of the construction of ships that could be used as standard wartime vessels. The company was reborn as a marine pump manufacturer.

1947
Kazuso Tsutsui, son-in-law to founder Tomeso Tsutsui, joined the company


Becoming a general manufacturer
of marine pumps

Late 1940s
Became one of the nation’s leading manufacturers
The company fully established a production system to become specialized in marine pumps, and achieved a prominent footing in the industry.

1950s
Expanded production into land-based equipment
The company made a serious move into the production of land-based equipment to grow beyond the marine pump business.

A Period of Rapid Economic Growth

1955
Decision to develop its own turbines
Inability to achieve technical cooperation with western companies led the company to develop its own turbines.

Relocation of the foundry

1958
Established an office in Tokyo

1959
Established an office in Kobe

Renovated the machine assembly factory

1960
Visit of Princess Chichibu
The company was honored to be selected as business leader in Hiroshima by Princess Chichibu during her visit.


View of the new foundry

1961
Another relocation of the foundry (the current Fuchu Factory)

1962
Produced over 10,000 units
The total production volume surpassed 10,000 units starting with the release of the first pump of the postwar period in 1947.

1964
Established offices in London and New York
Offices were established in London and New York. This was considered groundbreaking for a medium-sized manufacturing company.


Ceremony for surpassing 20,000 unit production

1966
Produced over 20,000 units

1968
Started exporting units to European shipyards
As a marine machinery manufacturer in Japan, the company successfully began full-fledged export of machinery (cargo oil pump + drive turbine).

Visit of the Crown Prince (the current Emperor)
The company had the honor of being selected as a growing mid-sized export company during the visit of the Crown Prince (the current Emperor).

30th anniversary
A large ceremony was held to celebrate the 30th anniversary.


Inside the factory, the Crown Prince
listens to an explanation of Executive
Vice-President Kazuso Tsutsui


Ceremony for the 30th anniversary of founding

1970
Produced over 30,000 units

1971
Completion of the pump factory (the current Fuchu Factory) and turbine factory (the current the Main Factory)


Pump factory (left) and foundry (right)


Turbine factory

1974
Founding of an overseas subsidiary in Amsterdam
Overseas subsidiary Shinko Machineries Europe B.V. (SME) was established in Amsterdam, Netherlands.

Exceeded 10 billion yen in sales
The company achieved 10 billion yen in sales during an unprecedented boom in shipbuilding.

A Period of Recession in Shipbuilding

1976
Closed the London Office
The London Office was closed and integrated with the overseas subsidiary SME in Amsterdam.

1977
Established offices in Busan and Singapore


Kazuso Tsutsui (left), Tomeso Tsutsui (right)

1979
Appointed Tomeso Tsutsui as Chairman of the Board, and Kazuso Tsutsui as President and Representative Director
Tomeso Tsutsui was appointed Chairman of the Board, and Kazuso Tsutsui as President and Representative Director at the board of directors’ meeting.

1981
Launched the Gas Project Team
The Gas Project Team was established aiming for a “world class recognition for LPG and LNG pumps.”

1984
Closed the New York and Busan Offices

1986
Passing away of the founder, Tomeso Tsutsui
Company founder, Tomeso Tsutsui, lived to the age of 85.

50th Anniversary of Founding to Present

1988
Inauguration of “Shinko Ind. Ltd.”
Before the 50th anniversary, the company changed its name from “Shinko Kinzoku Industries Co., Ltd.” to “Shinko Ind. Ltd.”, and created an new corporate philosophy.

Takeover of shares of Toyo Kikai Co. Ltd. and Shin-Toyo Iron
The company bought out the shares of Toyo Kikai Co. Ltd. and Shin-Toyo Iron, making them affiliates.

Celebration of the 50th anniversary
A large ceremony was held celebrating the 50th anniversary.


Water Rainbow Bridge

1989
Exhibition of Water Rainbow Bridge
A water rainbow bridge was exhibited in the “1989 Hiroshima Sea and Islands Exposition” which gained popularity.


Ceremony for surpassing
100,000 unit production

1990
Produced over 100,000 units

Established an office in Bangkok, Thailand

1992
Awarded the Japan Expo Grand Prize for Fountain Paradise
The company exhibited Fountain Paradise at the first Japan Expo held in Toyama Prefecture, and was selected as the grand prize winner.


View of the new Head Office

1993
Established the new Head Office Building

1997
Inheritance of Masuya Industry Co. Ltd.
The company bought out the shares of Masuya Industry Co. Ltd., making the firm an affiliate.

2002
Exceeded 20 billion yen in sales

2003
Won the "Manufacturing Award" by Nihon Keizai Shimbun

2006
Selected as one of the "300 Best Manufacturing Small and Medium Enterprises" by The SME Agency


An Evening of Thanksgiving at Shinko

2007
Appointed of Kazuso Tsutsui as Chairman of the Board, and Kanji Tsutsui as President and Representative Director
“An Evening of Thanksgiving at Shinko” was held where Kazuso Tsutsui passed the management to the current company president.

Achieved 30 billion yen in sales

Won the “Monodzukuri Nippon Grand Awards (Excellence Prize)” by the METI


Sendai Factory


70th anniversary thanksgiving celebration in Tokyo


Ceremony for achieving 250,000 unit production


New pump factory office and warehouse

2008
Established a new processing factory for large parts (Sendai Factory)

Established a Shanghai Office

Achieved 40.6 billion yen in sales

Celebration of the 70th anniversary
Grand ceremonies were held in 3 venues in Japan and abroad, celebrating the 70th anniversary of its founding.

2009
Produced over 200,000 units

2012
Appointed Kazuso Tsutsui as The Honorary President

2013
Established an office in Doha, Qatar

Joint Venture PMT Shinko Turbine Sdn. Bhd. was established in Malaysia.

2014
Produced over 250,000 units

Established a new pump factory office and warehouse

2015
Ozuki Steel Industries became our subsidiary company.

2016
Achieved 42.5 billion yen in sales
The company had achieved the highest sales of 42.5 billion yen since its founding.

Highest personal total production volume of 12,637 units in a year

Founding to Postwar Reconstruction

1941
Silzin bronze casting
Requested by the Kure Naval Arsenal, the company began manufacturing silzin bronze by only casting copper and zinc without tin, successfully reducing costs.


Main shaft driven crankshaft piston pump

1941
Started manufacturing pumps for standard wartime ships
A main shaft driven crankshaft piston pump was manufactured for standard wartime ships.

1945
Manufactured various products for survival
After the war, the company produced sawdust stoves and food processing machines for surviving while steadily preparing for the resumption of the shipbuilding industry.


First electric water pump after the war

1947
Manufactured the first and second pumps of the postwar period
After the war, the company manufactured an electric water pump, and a main shaft driven bilge and sanitary pump, as its first and second pumps for the ships that could be turned into standard wartime ships.

1948
Development of the first steam pump
The company developed two fuel pumps and one evaporator pump for the Japan’s first steel export ship. These pumps were the first to be subjected to “operation and performance tests” in the company.


First centrifugal pump

1949
Development of the first centrifugal pump
The first centrifugal pump was developed for patrol boats of the Japan Coast Guard.

1951
Development of the first gear pump
With intentions to advance in the whole field of pumps, the company developed the first gear pump for whaling ships.


Main engine seawater cooling pump

Manufactured the first main engine seawater cooling pump
The company manufactured a main engine seawater cooling pump for tankers ordered by domestic ship owners. The order of pumps for continous use was a long-awaited event in the company, which was limited to manufacturing pumps for intermittent use.

1952
Development of a rotary cargo and stripping pump

1953
Development of a dual-purpose fuel and seawater pump with oil seals

A Period of Rapid Economic Growth

1956
Manufactured the first condenser circulating water pump
The company manufactured the first condenser circulating water pump for tankers ordered by ship owners in Greece.


First steam turbine

1957
Development of the first steam turbine
A turbine for Butterworth pumps was developed as the first steam turbine for tankers ordered by Greek ship owners in New York.

Late 1950s
Expansion to the manufacturing of land-based pumps
We designed 24 types and 48 models of land-based pumps, based on the concept of safety, commonality, and productivity.


Cargo oil pump and cargo oil pump turbine in ship

1960
Development of a cargo oil pump and drive turbine (cargo oil pump turbine)
The company developed a cargo oil pump and cargo oil pump turbine for tankers constructed on the 15th scheduled shipbuilding. This development gave the company a stronger foothold in the industry.


Cargo oil pump and cargo oil pump turbine in test operation

1966
Manufactured vertical cargo oil pumps and cargo oil pump turbines
A vertical cargo oil pump and cargo oil pump turbine was developed to meet the demands of that time to reduce the pump chamber space, expand load capacity, and improve suction performance.

1968
Development of Houttuin screw pumps

1969
Manufactured multi-stage water pumps
The company manufactured a multi-stage water pump for large ships which require high capacity, high pressure, and high efficiency. The company received a better rating due to its efficiency which was a few percent higher than competitors, and the market share in this field continued to expand.


First cargo pump for LPG carriers

1973
Joint development of cargo pumps for LPG carriers
With the emerging problems in air pollution, the company co-developed a cargo pump for LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) carriers with Nishishiba Electric Co., Ltd.

Development of a power generator turbine for ships
Due to the oil crisis, the company developed a power generator turbine to be its main product, as a substitute for the rapidly decreasing demand for cargo oil pump and cargo oil pump turbine, and thus the market share expanded.

A Period of Recession in Shipbuilding

1975
Manufactured the world’s largest cargo oil pump and cargo oil pump turbine
The largest cargo oil pump and cargo oil pump turbine at that time were manufactured.

Manufactured cargo pumps for coastal LPG carriers
The severe shipbuilding recession triggered by the oil crisis strengthened the diversification and scaling down of ships. This lead the company to manufacture cargo pumps for small to medium-sized gas tankers (LPG/ammonia/VCM).

1977
Development of a pit barrel pump
The company manufactured a pit barrel pump for test plants that perform waste heat recovery power generation.

Joint development of a power generator turbine that uses exhaust gas
The company co-developed with four related companies a highly efficient power generator turbine that uses exhaust gas for small to medium-sized ships with less amount of exhaust gas.


SV centrifugal pump

Manufactured SV centrifugal pumps
The company manufactured an SV centrifugal pump for the engine room of small to medium-sized ships.

1979
Manufactured a power generator turbine that uses industrial waste
A power generator turbine that uses industrial waste was manufactured as equipment for an era of energy conservation.


LNG pump

Joint development of land and ship LNG pumps
An LNG (liquefied natural gas) pump that can handle liquids at very low temperatures was co-developed with four related companies.

1981
Manufactured a drainage pump for floating docks
The company manufactured a drainage pump for floating docks that is to be mounted on the bottom of shipyard docks to drain sea water from the dock.

Manufactured a power generator turbine that uses differential pressure
The company manufactured a power generator turbine that uses differential pressure. It uses the difference between the steam pressure generated in the boiler and the steam pressure actually utilized.

1984
Jointly manufactured marine cargo pumps for oil refining products
Marine cargo pumps for oil refining products were co-manufactured with Japan Steel Works, Ltd.


Reversible flow pump with directional control valve

Manufactured a reversible flow pump with directional-control valve
The company manufactured a reversible flow pump with directional-control valve to be able to adjust the amount of water in the anti-heeling tank during loading. The patent registration for this pump was completed in 1989.

1986
Manufactured a ring section boiler feed pump
A ring section boiler feed pump was manufactured due to the demands for a highly efficient and low cost pump.


First turbo motor

1989
Manufactured the first turbo motor
The company manufactured a small turbine (named turbo motor) that is profitable even with low volume steam quantity.

Manufactured a low noise fire extinguishing seawater pump
A low noise fire extinguishing seawater pump was manufactured for AEGIS ships.

50th Anniversary of Founding to Present

1991
Manufactured a waste water treatment pump
The company manufactured a downstream aerated waste water treatment pump for sewage facilities.

1992
Manufactured a sliding bearing LNG pump
A sliding bearing LNG pump was manufactured to compensate for limitations of the ball bearing.


Hydrophore tank unit

Development of a hydrophore tank unit and onboard water supply system
The company developed a hybrid tank unit equipped with a pump for washing and drinking. The patent registration for this tank unit was completed in 2008.

Manufactured a cascade tank unit
The company manufactured a cascade tank (oil water separator tank) equipped with an atmospheric pressure condenser and a pump. The patent registration for this tank unit was completed in 2008.

1993
Manufactured a vertical diagonal flow seawater pump
A vertical diagonal flow seawater pump was manufactured for cooling offshore power plants.


In-tank LNG pump

Manufactured a in-tank LNG pump
The company co-manufactured an in-tank type LNG pump featuring high reliability and superior maintainability with Osaka Gas Co., Ltd.

1994
Manufactured the world’s largest stripping pump
The world’s largest stripping pump was manufactured for tankers handling crude oil in the North Sea.

Manufactured a jellyfish-crushing seawater pump
The company manufactured a jellyfish-crushing seawater pump for the research ship of the Japan Meteorological Agency.

1998
Manufactured an automatic thrust balancing LNG pump
The company manufactured an automatic thrust balancing type LNG pump in response to user demand for the automatic thrust balancing system.

2002
Manufactured a submerged pump for DME
A submerged pump that supports DME (dimethyl ether), an alternative clean energy for the next generation, was manufactured.

2005
Manufactured an ultra-high pressure water supply pump for next-generation LNG carriers
The company manufactured an ultra-high pressure water supply pump for LNG carriers that adopted steam turbines in the main engine.


Ultra-high vacuum pump for LNG carriers

2007
Manufactured an ultra-high vacuum pump for LNG carriers
The company manufactured an ultra-high vacuum pump to maintain high vacuum in the condenser of an LNG carrier.

2008
Manufactured a water injection pump
A water injection pump was manufactured for offshore oil development.


Energy-saving cargo oil pump turbine

2009
Manufactured a energy-saving cargo oil pump turbine
The company manufactured a cargo oil pump turbine that cuts steam consumption by 13% less than the conventional cargo oil pump turbine.

Founding to Postwar Reconstruction


Kanhon Ⅰ-go boiler

1949
Establishment a new steam pump performance testing equipment
A Kanhon Ⅰ-go boiler that was lifted to land from the destroyer was sold by the government. It was then repaired and relocated by the company as steam pump performance testing equipment.
Although it was viewed as an irrational capital investment because of the huge cost it required, the establishment of this boiler received high praise from clients, drawing in almost all orders for important pumps the following year.


50kW DC generator

1949
Establishment of a new electric pump performance testing equipment
The company established a 50kW DC generator as an electric pump performance testing equipment.
It was at the forefront of the industry with the completion of the electric pump and steam pump performance testing equipment.

A Period of Rapid Economic Growth

1955
Relocation of the foundry and rationalization of equipment
The company relocated the foundry, prepared five overhead cranes, and established a new melting facility. In addition, it had become a revolutionary and rationalized foundry, entirely converting from natural casting sand to synthetic sand, and managing consistently from sand processing up to molding. The remaining building was made into a machine factory as an expansion of the Machine Assembly Department.


6t/h x 50k test boiler

Establishment of a new high pressure test boiler
The company decided to develop its own turbines and establish a new heavy oil fired high pressure boiler and turbine performance testing equipment in the factory. At the time, the amount of money invested for the equipment exceeded the sales of one month.

1959
Renovation and rationalization of the machine assembly factory
The machine assembly factory went through full-scale renovations and large imported equipment such as drilling machines, boring machines and lathes were proactively introduced.


Inside the foundry

1961
Another relocation of the foundry (currently Fuchu Factory)
Together with the second relocation of the foundry, the company established a new sand processing and molding equipment, drying furnace, melting furnace, and overhead crane, enabling progress in production volume and productivity.


12t/h x 47k test boiler

Installation of the high temperature and high pressure boiler
The company introduced a high temperature and high pressure boiler to run tests for cargo oil pumps with a capacity of 2,000㎥/h, and drive turbines with an output up to 1,000kW.
At this time, the company was headed towards the path of becoming a cargo oil pump and drive turbine manufacturer.


30t/h x 67k test boiler

1967
Upgrade of the test boiler
The company installed a high temperature and high pressure boiler, steam consumption measuring equipment, and other testing equipment for testing cargo oil pumps with a capacity of 6,000㎥/h.

1971
Completion of the pump factory (currently Fuchu Factory) and turbine factory (currently the Main Factory)
During the boom of supertankers, the Pump Department was moved to a site adjacent to the foundry making it into a pump factory. Then the main factory was turned into a turbine factory by entirely revising its layout. With greatly enhanced equipment at both factories, production volume and productivity were advanced.


LPG and LNG pump research and test facility

1973
Completion of the LPG and LNG pump research and test facility
The company constructed a facility that can perform operation test of pumps with a capacity up to 2,000㎥/h using low temperature liquefied gas.
Because of this, operation tests can be conducted for all manufactured land and marine LPG and LNG pumps before delivery. In addition, this facility was certified by the Ministry of International Trade and Industry (currently Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry) as the first domestic facility based on the promotion program for heavy machinery development.

1974
Maintenance of the foundry
To deal with the doubled increase in demand for pumps and turbines, the company advanced the development and realization of the Foundry Department in a span of 4 years.

A Period of Recession in Shipbuilding

1984
Introduction of a FMS equipment to the pump factory
The company introduced a FMS (Flexible Manufacturing System) equipment to the pump factory to achieve high-variety/low volume production and make the factory fully automated and unmanned.


Private power plant fueled by scrap wood

Construction of private power plant fueled by scrap wood
In order to respond to the rise in the cost of power and to meet the demands for sales expansion of power generator turbines by demonstration plants, the company constructed a private power plant fueled by scrap wood in Fuchu Factory.

1986
New establishment of FMS line in the foundry
The company also introduced FMS to the foundry in order to achieve significant reduction in casting cost which accounts for majority of the pump costs.

50th Anniversary of Founding to Present


Automated warehouse for wooden molds

1989
Rationalization of the foundry
Facilities in the foundry were improved, expanded or newly constructed such as the automated warehouse for wooden molds, which successfully enabled greater productivity with less labor.

1991
Introduction of a five-face milling machine
The company was the first in the industry to introduce a five-face milling machine for the manufacturing of cargo oil pumps and ballast pumps.
It continued to improve, expand and build new facilities and equipment at each factory.


Five-face milling machine for processing large parts

2008
Establishment of a new machining plant for large parts (Sendai Factory)
To accommodate larger turbines, the company established a processing plant for large parts in a company-owned land adjacent to the Fuchu Factory, and introduced a large five-face milling machine, turning center and equipment for NC lathe and others.

2013
Establishment of a new aluminum melting furnace and heat treating furnace
The company established an aluminum melting furnace and heat treating furnace for LPG and LNG pumps that use aluminum casting.

2017
A private power plant in Fuchu factory was demolished.